The founding father of our firm was Everett Mills who started his career in 1904 in the exact same city block as the current firm location in the building known as the Schaefer Block, which was an office building converted from the old Schaefer Opera House. The Shafer Block entrance faced the W. Tuscarawas Street and is now a part of the entrance on W. Tuscarawas of our current building, which was first named the First National Bank Building. While the firm was known as Amerman and Mills, it was located in the Schaefer Block building until the First National Bank building was constructed in September of 1924, and the Amerman and Mills law firm was one of the first tenants on the 9th floor. We now currently enjoy the top three floors of the old First National Bank building.
Charles C. Bow and James Amerman joined Everett Mills in 1914.
From 1916 – 1940, the firm was known as Amerman and Mills.
In 1942, the firm was known as Amerman, Mills, Mills, Jones & Mansfield.
Virgil Mills started at the firm in 1933.
In our lobby is the original collage of Everett Mills, Virgil Mills and James Amerman on the 9th floor of our building with dated photos from 1939.
In 1948, the firm was Amerman, Mills, Mills, & Jones.
From 1954-1972, the firm was Mills & Mills with Donald Fiely and Frank Lucas joining in the late ‘50’s.
The current name of Mills, Mills, Fiely & Lucas has been the name since 1972.
For over 117 years, there has always been a Mills as a named partner.